What are JavaServer Pages?
JSP is a scripting-based technology
- Similar to ASP and PHP, different than CFML tag-based approach
- JSP taglibs allow programmers to create CFML-like custom tags
- JSP Standard Tag Library (JSTL) recently reached 1.0 status
JSP scripting language is Java
- Do you have to know Java to write JSP pages? YES!
- Theoretically can support other scripting languages, but never will
JSP is translated to a Java Servlet, compiled, executed
- .jsp --> .java (servlet) --> .class (servlet)
- JSP is “another way to write servlets”
JSP (.jsp) is portable across J2EE servers
- Generated servlet (.java/.class) is NOT standard, but is proprietary to the servlet/JSP container that created it